World Bee Day 2021
Last Thursday, May 20th was World Bee Day! To celebrate the creatures that keep our environment in check, we’ve put together some tips and tricks for you to help the bees. After all, it’s up to all of us to help!
- Buddleja (butterfly plant)
- Nepeta ‘Summer Magic’
- Digitalis (foxglove)
How to encourage bee activity in your garden:
- Manual weeding is the better option all around. Chemical weeding and pesticide use if bad for the environment, and not very bee friendly.
- Bees tend to nest in bare soil or earth banks, so having a few small bare patches in you garden isn’t as bad as it seems.
- Window boxes and hanging baskets with bee friendly flowers like those listed above are perfect for the bees to pollinate. This is a great way to help if you have a smaller garden or outdoor space.
- For bigger gardens, flowering hedgerows, shrubs and trees surrounding your garden are a great way to help bees pollinate while keeping them a bit further away from the house.
- Areas of longer grass provide shelter for bumblebees (the perfect excuse for not getting around to cutting the lawn)!
- Keeping even just one longer patch or strip of grass In your garden will allow for a wildflower patch to grow, providing food for bees.
- To celebrate World Bee Day you can now get 2 Buddlejas for €15 or 3 Geraniums for €9!
Find more information by watching Episode 9 of Kerry's Gardening Show!